James Shafer, President                                   

Wayne Cossens, Vice President

Jean Murphy, Secretary

Alice Hamilton, Treasurer

Linda Poe, Communications

Contact Us At:   Information@fths.us


We are always looking for new members. We meet the Third Saturday of each month at 9am at the old Township Building, 981 Hopewell Road, Felicity.


For more information, to join, or volunteer to assist with events, please e-mail your name, phone number, and e-mail address to:






We are looking for historic pictures and artifacts to enrich our knowledge of the history.




From Clermont County Historical Society

Fights over stolen horses took place between Simon Kenton and Cornelius Washburn versus Indians on the site of Cedron.

The Smyrna Cemetery area was a Shawnee village in the 1780’s and 1790’s. It later was the original site of the Smyrna Presbyterian Church (1808). The famous abolitionist Rankin family preached there.

The Felicity ‘49’ers, led by James Turner, left for Califonia and Nevada in March 1850 to search for gold.

Lt. Col. Elsie Schneider of Felicity was in charge of all U.S. nurses in the Pacific Theatre of World War II.

Utopia was settled by the Fourierite Society (French) in 1844 and later was inhabited by a group of Spiritualists led by John O. Wattles. Wattles’ followers were almost completely destroyed by an Ohio River flash flood on Dec 13, 1847.

Laid out: Chilo (May 1, 1816), Felicity (April 19, 1817), Rural (Nov 24/25 1845, Utopia (Aug 3, 1847), and Cedron (Jan 16, 1851). Smith’s Landing began about 1844 and Mount Olive began about 1848.

In an 1896 edition of The Felicity Times editor Fletcher Day claims that the village of Felicity “was both famous and infamous as an abolition town. ... It is a fact that the slave felt in his innermost soul that if he could only reach Felicity he was safe.”